The X85J might be one of Sony’s most budget-friendly TVs, but it’s chock-full of features you won’t find on other sets in this price range, including next-gen gaming capabilities and a native refresh rate of 120Hz. The 55″ KD-55X85J also has powerful image processing and upscaling to deliver a crisp, vibrant picture on all kinds of content.
Rich color and detail
The X85J uses Sony’s unique TRILUMINOS™ PRO display technology. This system accurately reproduces a very wide palette of colors, which will make High Dynamic Range content look especially stunning.
This TV supports several HDR formats, including HDR10, which is a requirement for Ultra HD Blu-ray movies and streamed 4K content. It can also handle the more sophisticated Dolby Vision® format. This dynamic HDR system adjusts brightness and color levels in response to the video signal on a scene-by-scene basis for rich detail and color.
You also get Sony’s 4K HDR Processor X1™ which analyzes the color in individual objects and adjusts the contrast accordingly. When objects are remastered individually, you get greater depth, enhanced texture, and a more realistic picture.
Google on board
New this year is the built-in Google TV smart app platform which consolidates a wide range of streaming services into a single user interface.
And if you’re feeling really lazy, you can simply ask the remote’s built-in Google Assistant to pull up a show or movie. You can also adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions using your voice.
More streaming options
The X85J has Chromecast built-in and Apple AirPlay® 2 support so you can easily stream all kinds of content from your mobile device or compatible computer.
The TV also includes the Apple TV streaming app, so you can rent, buy, and watch titles from Apple’s video library, and subscribe to Apple TV channels, without connecting a separate device.
The X85J has a lot in common with the pricier sets in this year’s Sony lineup, including some great gaming features. It will support enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC), 4K at 120Hz, and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) right out of the box. After a firmware update, it will also support Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) for smooth, tear-free graphics.
- 54.6″ screen (measured diagonally)
- 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- native refresh rate: 120Hz
- Motionflow™ XR blur reduction
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- direct LED backlight with frame dimming
- TRILUMINOS PRO Display technology for a wider, more natural color palette
- 4K HDR Processor X1 uses advanced algorithms to cut noise and boost detail
- object-based HDR Remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscaling improves the look of lower-res content
Video source compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- Apple TV app lets you rent, buy, and watch titles from Apple’s video library, and subscribe to Apple TV channels, without connecting a separate device
- NextGen TV ATSC 3.0 tuner is capable of receiving over-the-air 4K broadcasts
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box
Smart TV features:
- Google TV interface lets you browse live TV, movies, and TV shows from across many streaming services all in one place
- Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your phone or laptop
- remote has built-in Google Assistant — control basic TV functions and compatible smart home gear, search TV’s streaming services, set timers, and more.
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- compatible with Apple Air Play® 2 for wireless streaming from your Apple device
- 4 HDMI inputs (two 2.0b, two 2.1)
- all inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view the highest-quality 4K and HDR content from connected sources.
- HDMI 3 and HDMI 4 inputs support 4K/120Hz and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM); they will support Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) after firmware update
- supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- 1 composite video input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for the fastest, most secure internet connection
- 2 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- X-Balanced Speaker system (10 watts x 2)
- Acoustic Auto Calibration optimizes sound for your room
- can send Dolby Atmos audio to the TV’s speakers, or to an A/V receiver via HDMI/eARC, when using the TV’s HDMI inputs or built-in streaming apps
General features & info:
- voice remote with built-in microphone
- dimensions with stand: 48-9/16″W x 30-7/8″H x 13-5/16″D
- dimensions without stand: 48-9/16″W x 28″H x 2-7/8″D
- weight: 37.1 lbs. without stand
- detachable dual-footer stand (“footprint” is 41-13/16″W x 13-5/16″D)
- wall-mountable (bracket sold separately)
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 300mm x 300mm
- warranty: 1 year parts